In 1958 Gaedhealachas Teo decided to buy Trabolgan house and estate and establish a boarding school for boys - Scoil na nOg. This school was opened in June 1959 and until 1973, 160 pupils each year, received their education through Irish. During the summer months, Scoil na nOg operated a summer Irish college where up to 1400 boys and girls were provided with an opportunity to improve their knowledge of the Irish language.
In 1975, the Trabolgan estate was purchased by a Dutch Coal and Metal Industry Pension Fund and a small holiday development consisting of 30 houses, bar and clubhouse was opened in 1980 (catering mainly for the Continental market). The decision to extend the village to include a Main Centre and a wide range of facilities was taken in 1983 and building was completed in 1985. The present Trabolgan was officially opened in June 1985 by Mr. McNulty, Director General of Bord Failte. In 1990, after changing a hands a few times Trabolgan was bought by Scottish & Newcastle plc and has since undergone redevelopment programmes in 1991, 1998, 1999.
The old Trabolgan house was situated where the swimming pool complex is today. A Georgian house, of two storeys at the front, and three storeys at the back, to which single-storey wings were added on either side, making a facade of exceptional length. The front of the house faced out to sea; so that in a south-easterly gale it was hard to open the hall door. The house was approached by an avenue of more than 1 mile in length, which was closely hemmed in by trees and shrubs for most of the way, emerged spectacularly into the open by the sea and swept around to the long front of the house. Half way up the avenue there is a triumphal arch similar in design to the Arc de Triumphe in Paris. One of the Roche family is supposedly buried under the Arch. Finally, the shape of the bay gave the place it's name. Tra meaning strand/beach and Bolgan/Bulgen meaning bulging or big wave.