In 1850, Edmund Burke Roche, was created 1st Baron Fermoy in the Peerage of Ireland in 1850 - he was the great grand father of HRH Princess Diana. Local legend has it that Lord Fermoy lost Trabolgan on a bet with a guest who had a good greyhound. Lord Fermoy thought he had a better one, and arranged a race with Trabolgan as the prize. Lord Fermoy's dog is reputed to have spotted a crow which he chased instead of the hare and so lost his Lordship the race and Trabolgan. Whether the story is true is unknown, but in 1912 the Clarke Family (Clarkes Tobacco Co. of Bristol - Players Cigarettes, etc) acquired Trabolgan House and 1500 acres. Mr and Mrs Clarke resided at Trabolgan and even grew tobacco during the war years, until late 1930's when Mr Clarke died and Mrs Clarke moved residence. The Irish Land Commission purchased the total estate from the Clarke family and most of the land - (except some 140 acres) were divided amongst tenant farmers.
The remaining estate including the house was used as a base by a unit of the Irish Army during the Second World War. In 1948, a Mr. Bright and Mr White, together with a number of local investors decided to purchase the remaining estate from the Land Commission and to operate the estate as a holiday camp for Pontins. For this purpose, over 100 chalets, a dance hall and an outdoor swimming pool were built. The holiday centre was successful at the start and attracted British holiday makers, but on the whole it was not successful and so Trabolgan was put up for sale once more. During the following years the mansion and estate changed hands from people such as Egan to Sutton and was used as accommodation for overseas engineers involved in the building of the Whitegate refinery.